Germans Sweet Chocolate Cake
- Cake Ingredients (makes 16 servings):
- – 4 ounces (one package) Baker’s German’s Sweet Chocolate
- – 1/2 cup boiling water
- – 1 cup butter
- – 2 cups sugar
- – 4 eggs, separated
- – 1 teaspoon vanilla
- – 2 1/4 cups cake flour
- – 1 teaspoon baking soda
- – 1/2 teaspoon salt
- – 1 cup buttermilk
- – 1 recipe Coconut-Pecan Frosting (recipe follows)
- Frosting Ingredients
- – 1 cup evaporated milk
- – 1 cup sugar
- – 2 egg yolks, slightly beaten
- – 1/2 cup butter
- – 1 teaspoon vanilla
- – 1 1/3 cups Baker’s Angel Flake Coconut
- – 1 cup chopped pecans
- Preheat the oven to 350. Cover the bottoms of three 9-inch round cake pans with parchment paper, and spray the pans with baking spray (alternatively, grease the sides of the pans with butter). Set aside.
- Break the chocolate into pieces in a glass bowl. Pour 1/2 cup boiling water over the chocolate and stir to melt all the chocolate until smooth. Set aside to cool.
- In a standing mixer with the paddle attachment, or in a bowl using a hand mixer, cream the butter and sugar until fluffy and light in color. Add egg yolks, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Blend in the vanilla, then the chocolate.
- In a large bowl, mix the flour with the baking soda and salt.
- To the chocolate mixture, add the flour mixture and the buttermilk, alternating between the two, beating after each addition until smooth. Set aside.
- Beat egg whites until stiff peaks form, then fold the beaten egg whites into the chocolate mixture. Combine until just mixed – not too much or else the eggs will deflate. You should have a fairly airy batter.
- Pour the batter into the three separate pans equally. Bake for 30-35 minutes until a toothpick comes out with only a couple of crumbs. Cool in the pans for five to ten minutes, then turn out onto a rack to cool.
- When cool, frost only the tops (not the sides) of each layer with Coconut-Pecan Frosting. Enjoy!
- Frosting Ingredients (frosts two layers and the top of one 9-inch round German’s Chocolate Cake, recipe above):
- In a saucepan, mix the evaporated milk, sugar, egg yolks, butter, and vanilla, stirring over medium heat until thickened, anywhere from 10 to 15 minutes.
- Remove milk mixture and immediately stir in the coconut and pecans. Cool until thick enough to spread, stirring occasionally. Frost tops of cake layers only