Romaine Wedge with Croutons and Gorgonzola Vinaigrette
Romaine Wedge with Croutons Gorgonzola Vinaigrette
- Recipe has 3 parts Romaine Wedge, Croutons and Gorogonzola Vinaigrette
- • 2 Romaine hearts (1/4 heart per person)
- • ½ pound bacon, cut into 1-inch pieces
- • 1 small package (1 pint) grape tomatoes, cut into halves
- • 24 pitted Kalamata olives
- • 3 green onions, roughly chopped into ¼-inch pieces
- • 2 cloves garlic, cut into paper-thin slices
- • 3 tablespoons olive oil
- • Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- • 16 rings red onion, thinly sliced and separated
- • 7 cloves garlic (Minced)
- • ¼- ½ cup olive oil
- • ½ French baguette, cut into 1-inch by 1-inch pieces
- • 3 cloves garlic, finely diced with 2 teaspoons Kosher Salt
- • 2 heaping tablespoons Dijon mustard
- • 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- • Juice of 1 lemon
- • 2 teaspoons honey
- • 1 cup extra virgin olive oil
- • 2 tablespoons Italian parsley, finely chopped
- • 1½ cups roughly grated Gorgonzola cheese (buy a block at Costco – better quality at half the price)
- Trim Romaine hearts to 8 inches in length. Cut into quarters lengthwise. Cover with a damp paper towel and set aside.
- Brown the bacon and set aside. (Don't pick.)
- In a mixing bowl, combine the tomatoes, olives, green onion, garlic and olive oil.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Mix and set aside.
- Set aside red onion for topping.
- Pre-heat oven to 380°.
- Finely chop garlic.
- In a large sauté pan, sauté garlic in ¼ cup olive oil for four minutes over medium/low heat until garlic softens.
- Add baguette pieces and stir so that they are coated in olive oil (add a little more oil if necessary) under high heat.
- When the bread starts to brown, shift the sauté pan into the oven.
- Bake for 5 to 10 minutes or until the croutons are crunchy brown.
- In a large mixing bowl, add garlic, mustard, vinegar, lemon juice, and honey. Wisk together.
- Drizzle in the olive oil, whisking vigorously. Keep whisking until the vinaigrette is nicely emulsified.
- Whisk in the Italian parsley and Gorgonzola.
- Set aside or refrigerate.